Thursday, 8 May 2014

More Signs of Spring

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I wonder where the birdies is?  BOL!

It is definitely looking more and more spring like here in the Great White North.  The ground is still drying out and sometimes we find the neatest tracks in the garden and the fields.  The other day mom came across this one:
That would be a deer that was walking in the neighbor's orchard
While I was sniffing around the deer tracks, mom came across this track:
Pretty sure this is a moose track!
Guess what this track is? BOL!
Guess who stepped here!
We took a nice walk down to the river that day.
Still some ice down on the riverbank.
You might notice I was intently looking at something in the above picture.  This is what I was looking at:
Seagulls hanging out on a rock in the middle of the river.
The nerve of those guys  hanging out in the middle of the river and mom wouldn't let me go for a swim to catch them.  She said the river was flowing too fast.  Pffffffft, I'm sure they would be tasty.

Speaking of tasty:
Mallard Duck Eggs
Those are some kinda tasty!  I must report that the one time mom didn't keep a close eye on me when we were outside, I ate three of these eggs.  Mom was not happy.  It appears now that the nest was abandoned by the momma duck.  We hope she has found a better place to put  her next nest.
Sunday morning visitor.
This Canada Goose decided to pay a visit to our front yard on Sunday.  We have been seeing flocks and flocks of these guys returning.

Yesterday morning mom and I went for a really long walk in the morning.  I thought it was great and was wondering why we were on such a long walk.  Turns out she was trying to tire me out as I had a vet appointment early yesterday afternoon.  I had a very good checkup and my heart, eyes and teeth are all very healthy and I tip the old Toledo at 77 pounds.  It took them a while to find my microchip.  It was implanted between my shoulder blades last year, but it has migrated to between my front legs.  Apparently this is more common than you might think!  Oh, and they also took my temperature.  Why in the world do you need your temperature taken at all when you are feeling well.  While the vet was violating me the technician was feeding me tasty treats.  They told me I was a very good boy!

Now back to the morning walk.  Mom looked out the window at breakfast and saw this:
The face only a mother could love!
 Yeah, them there turkey vultures are quite the site.  Then he started calling his mates.
Impressive wing span!
Eventually we had four turkey vultures in our yard.
Turkey vulture and his mate
Mom could only get a picture of two of them together.   She tried to get all four, but it just didn't turn out.

Then we set out for our walk.  First stop was the neighbor's field:
Neighbor's field
It doesn't look like much right now, but I know the farmer's are itching to get back out on the land and seed.  The ground is still quite cool, so it needs to warm up quite a bit before planting can take place.

We continued on our walk and then we came across a bunch of these:
Badger hole
That would be my tail in the picture.  We came across a part of the field that had five badger holes and I decided to stick my head in this one and bark!  Luckily no one was home and mom unceremoniously pulled me away from the hole, but not before taking a picture.

We continued on our walk and came across this cute little fella:
Isn't he cute?
That would be a Wesley Snipe that we found wading in some standing water in the field.  It was very interesting to watch him walking around and gathering bugs.
Another picture of the snipe
Then mom and I headed off toward where the eagle has its nest.  We were almost at the clump of trees where the eagle's nest is when a Canada Goose came charging at us.  Was she ever mad!  We backed off while she was hissing and charging at us and then mom saw why she was so angry with us.
Canada Goose nest
Now you would think with an angry goose close by, mom would have decided to leave quickly.  Nope she came for a picture of the eagle and she was determined to get that picture!
Eagle and its nest
Well that was my walk and I hope you all enjoyed it.  Can't wait to take pictures when it starts to green up around here.

Have a great day all!

10 comments:

  1. Such a great place to walk! Wuz that a Buddy footprint? An it's best to stay 'way from those moosies, they can get ornery!
    Do yu have Killdeer burds? They lay their eggs in lil pebbles. Then they do the broken wing routine to keep away the inturders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that was a Buddy footprint! Mom heard from our neighbor that he knew someone that was chased by a moose in his yard. Apparently, though, he has a barky schnauzer that barked and drove the moose away. Pawsome! Mom doesn't think we have Killdeer's around here. At least she has never heard of them here.

      Delete
  2. Wow, looks like ya got some good barkin up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I barked, Whitley! Mom wishes I would bark more!

      Delete
  3. Crikey, Buddy ..... you sure live in an interesting place. That walk was VERY impressive. My Mum's really in to birds and she LOVED all those pictures of the birds. Especially the eagle and the turkey vultures.I was more interested in your river. You can't walk on it anymore, aye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turkey vultures were pawsome. Mom sent the picture to the tv station and they used it on their newscast that day. Mom has entered one picture of the vultures in a contest with the Canadian Wildlife Federation. She doesn't think she will win, but some of the pictures submitted are wonderful. The river is thawed and the ferry is once again running. Mom still hasn't let me swim, because she thinks the river is flowing too fast.

      Delete
  4. Those are such beautiful photos!
    "a face only a mother could love" hahahahahahaha!!!!!! Too funny!
    Looks like you guys had an amazing walk!!!!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turkey vulture pictures turned out not bad. We always find all sorts of things on our walks!

      Delete
  5. You sure do have a lot of interesting things to watch, sniff and woof at!
    Badgers! Wow, we don't have those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep finding more badger holes everyday on our walks. They are nocturnal aren't they!?

      Delete